Architectural complex Three brothers.
Three brothers – the oldest residential complex located in Old Riga on Maza Pils Street (Malaya Zamkovaya). These three houses have been preserved since the 15th century. Today they house the Museum of Architecture and the State Center for the Protection of Cultural Monuments.
According to legend, three houses, closely clinging to each other, were really built by men of the same genus. In the Middle Ages, the street on which the houses stood was on the outskirts of the city. Artisans lived here. In the house number 17, the oldest of the “brothers”, there was a craft workshop. It is assumed that the building of the “oldest brother” was built in 1490. The house has an ascetic architecture, the only decoration of the structure are 2 stone columns located in front of the entrance. In this house there was only 1 room, which was used both as a workshop and as a shop, as well as a place where people live. Still preserved stone benches located on both sides of the door of the building, which are characteristic features of the early Middle Ages.
House number 19, which is the middle “brother”, is the most luxurious building, in terms of architecture, among the three brothers. The entrance of the middle “brother” is adorned with the inscription “Soli deo gloria!”. Unlike the eldest “brother”, this house had a separate spacious hall with large windows, while the living quarters were on the courtyard side.
The youngest “brother” was built in the second half of the 17th century. In this house, on each floor there were small apartments. The facade of the building is decorated with a mask. Which, according to the author, was supposed to serve as a defense of the house from evil spirits.
Between 1955 and 1957 restoration of the “three brothers” was carried out. The work was carried out according to the project of Peteris Saulitis, with the help of G. Janson. A stone portal, taken from the lost House of the Blackheads, as well as a forged coat of arms, dated 1554, was walled into the walls.